The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement Learning Center
MindEdge: Nonprofit Board and Volunteer Development
Volunteers are the lifeblood of most nonprofit organizations. And board members are a special type of volunteer, helping to guide the direction of a nonprofit, promote the organization in the community, and ensure that the nonprofit's mission is fulfilled. Learning how best to manage the board and other volunteers is a critical part of nonprofit management. This 5-hour course covers the fundamentals of board and volunteer development as well as recruiting, effective communication, and retention.
- Explain the reasons why people volunteer and how nonprofits can make volunteer programs more successful
- Describe the responsibilities of the nonprofit board
- Discuss different models for organizing a nonprofit board
- Describe the differences between a nonprofit board and a for-profit board
- Explain different approaches for recruiting and filling a nonprofit board
- Discuss the pros and cons of large versus small boards
- Describe why board evaluations are useful
- Explain why nonprofit boards form committees
- Discuss typical nonprofit board and staff interactions
- Describe how nonprofits can develop and maintain a strong volunteer base
*** For full details and to register, see The Association's MindEdge Catalog here. MindEdge courses are available to all of your staff and volunteers, so share this link with all!