The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement Learning Center
MindEdge: Nonprofit Ethics and Compliance
Because they rely on the public's trust, nonprofit organizations must adhere to the highest ethical standards; even a hint of impropriety could jeopardize a nonprofit's reputation, its fundraising, and eventually its mission. At the same time, nonprofits with 501 (c)(3) status must be scrupulous in their compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. This course provides a detailed introduction to nonprofit ethics and compliance, examining a range of topics including: mission and vision statements; governance policies; conflicts of interest; fundraising ethics; IRS compliance; state laws and regulations; and the role of the compliance officer. This 5-hour self-paced course, filled with videos and interactive case studies, will help you understand one of the most important areas of nonprofit management.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Explain why nonprofit organizations are often held to higher ethical standards than for-profit corporations
- Identify the key ethical issues that nonprofits need to address
- Distinguish between mission, vision, and values statements
- Discuss the key elements of an organizational ethics code
- Articulate key ethical principles as they apply to nonprofit fundraising
- Identify the four different types of conflict-of-interest
- Name the steps in establishing a transparent executive compensation process
- Explain the three duties that nonprofit board members must follow
- Identify the key governance policies that nonprofits should adopt
- Explain the provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act that apply to nonprofits
- Explain why nonprofit organizations should adopt a social media policy
- Name the major duties of a compliance officer
- Identify the major IRS requirements for 501 (c) (3) organizations
- List the major areas in which nonprofit organizations must comply with state laws
- Name the major areas in which nonprofit organizations may need to comply with local laws
- Explain the concept of "compliance with the community"
*** For full details and to register, see The Association's MindEdge Catalog here - scroll down to locate the course. MindEdge courses are available to all of your staff and volunteers, so share this link with all!