The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement Learning Center
Recertification: Continuing Education (CE)
All of The Association's webinars and courses, including the offerings from our training partner MindEdge, found here in The Learning Center are eligible for CAWA CE.
Acceptable topical content for CE Activity (i.e., topics that enhance the professional competence of CAWAs) is content that aligns with the CAWA Exam Specifications / Topical Blueprint, as identified in the Applicant Guide (see Appendices).
Examples of eligible CE include workshops at national and state animal welfare conferences; asynchronous, synchronous, and blended internet-based courses and webinars; The Association conferences; college or university courses; courses by other educational providers; etc. (if consistent with further development of relevant professional knowledge, to be determined at The Association’s discretion). All of The Association's webinars, conference sessions, and courses, including the offerings from our training partner MindEdge, found here on The Learning Center are eligible for CAWA CE.
Points are generally earned at the rate of one (1) point per clock hour of instructional time or are based on the number of CEUs awarded by an educational provider. Please note that breaks, meals, and networking segments do not count as instructional time. Instructional time is rounded down to the nearest quarter-hour. Fractions of a point smaller than 0.25 cannot be earned.
For courses from an accredited college or university:
- For-credit courses: two (2) CAWA CPD points are earned per successfully completed semester credit hour (so a 3-credit course = 6 CAWA CEs)
- For noncredit courses, the number of CEUs awarded by the college = the number of CAWA CEs
- The college or university or educational provider must be accredited by an accrediting body that is recognized by either the United States Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (or authorized / accredited by an appropriate national or regional authority or global accrediting organization).
Activities completed during a CAWA’s current recertification period cannot be counted towards that CAWA’s next recertification period.
The CE Activity must be verifiable. CAWAs must provide the CE Activity title, session date and location, instructor’s name, sponsoring institution’s or provider’s name and contact information, and the number of clock hours of actual instructional time (not counting breaks, meals, or networking segments) in a CAWA recertification activity log (spreadsheet).
CAWAs are strongly encouraged to keep records, receipts, registration forms, and certificates associated with the CE Activity for one year after the CAWA’s next recertification date, in case the CE Activity provider’s records are compromised.
What Specifically Qualifies for Continuing Education (CE) Points Towards CAWA Recertification?
The course, class, webinar, or conference presentation ("CE Activity") must be at least thirty (30) minutes long.
Any CE Activity offered by The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement.
Educational content, both for-credit and noncredit, that aligns with the CAWA Exam Specifications / Topical Blueprint
Any CE Activity that is already approved for continuing education (CEU) credits, including by the following professional certification or licensing programs:
- RACE (veterinary technician or veterinarian licensing)
- CPA (accounting)
- PHR/SPHR (human resources)
- CFRE/AFP (fundraising)
- PRSA/APR (public relations)
- State Bar Associations (legal)
- APHE (professional humane educators)
- IACET (The International Accreditors for Continuing Education and Training)
- PDU/PMI (Project Management Institute)
Past SAWA/The Association Conference Brochures for reference when adding CEs for recertification:
Other Ways to Qualify for Recertification
Teaching and Training
Teaching education events (webinars, workshops) or presenting educational content at professional conferences.
- For teaching, two (2) CAWA CPD points are earned per clock hour of instruction. Please note that breaks, meals, and networking segments do not count as instructional time. Instructional time is rounded down to the nearest quarter-hour. Fractions of a point smaller than 0.25 cannot be earned.
Leadership and Professional Involvement
- Actively serving on a board, council, or committee directly aligned with the topics in the CAWA exam specifications. For board or committee service, three (3) CAWA CPD points are earned per year of service for any portion of the year.
Authoring published content in a book or peer-reviewed professional journal, on a topic aligned with the CAWA exam specifications.
- For authoring, requests for three (3) CAWA CPD points per publication may be submitted to the SAWA Certification Council for final determination. Please include a copy of the published content with your request.
CAWAs are encouraged to submit all CPD activities, to accurately reflect CAWAs’ commitment to the animal welfare, care, and control community.
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|
Search the Site
First Time on this Site?
Log in with your Association username & password to register for webinars & courses.
Not a member yet? Join The Association today as a full Member OR as a free Learning Non-member. Log into our main site first, then log in here.
The Roundtable: How Loud Can You Bark? Hellraising vs FundraisingProduct not yet rated Includes a Live Web Event on 07/22/2021 at 4:00 PM (EDT)