The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement Learning Center
Why Become CAWA?
Distinguish your skills and up your game! Show your commitment to high standards and ethical practice in the field of animal welfare, become a Certified Animal Welfare Administrator (CAWA). The Certified Animal Welfare Administrator (CAWA) is designed to:
- Distinguish the knowledge, skills and achievements of high-level managers working in animal welfare and protection; to support best practices within the profession
- Broaden the understanding among those making hiring decisions and the general public of the specialized qualifications required to successfully lead non-profit organizations and governmental agencies dedicated to animal care.
Complete details about the program can be found in the Applicant Guide.
Why Hire a CAWA?
Add “CAWA Preferred" or "CAWA Required” to your recruitment materials!
Hiring a CEO or Executive Director who has earned the Certified Animal Welfare Administrator (CAWA) credential:
- Ensures your organization and the Board of Directors that the individual has well rounded experience and unique animal welfare knowledge to support your agency’s mission and long term growth
- Supports your fundraising goals; donors who meet with a CAWA understand the Board of Directors’ commitment to use their money wisely
- Assures your staff that their leader has the highest skill level
- Qualified individuals meet rigorous standards set by The Association's peer professionals
High minimum standards are set for those who sit for the exam:
- Candidates meet strict eligibility requirements in leadership, management, and animal welfare experience.
- The Association develops and manages the CAWA program in accordance with globally accepted accreditation standards and best practices for personnel certification programs.
- The exam is fair, practical, and reflects industry competency standards.
- Current CAWAs are required to continue their education through leadership, professional involvement, and formal coursework.
First Time on this Site?
Log in with your Association username and password to access member discounted rates.
You may need to log into our main site first, then log in here.