The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement Learning Center
2-01-23 Responding to Subtle Acts of Exclusion & Microaggressions
- Animal Welfare Professional Member - Free!
- Student Member - Free!
- Industry Partner Member - Free!
- Learning Member - Free!
Have you ever heard the phrase, "death by a thousand paper cuts?" It's not only blatant acts of bias that exclude or discriminate against people from minoritized populations. It's often the more subtle acts of exclusion, also known as microinequities or microaggressions, that are equally if not more harmful. These behaviors on the surface may seem insignificant, for example:
- frequently interrupting the same people during conversations
- consistently forgetting or mispronouncing a person's name
- using coded or stereotypical language
- overlooking someone's work but praising another's
Regardless of the intentions of the message sender, the impact of such actions are often deeply felt by the receiver, especially if they have been on the receiving end of exclusionary treatment many times before. This session will help you recognize some common microaggressions, understand the impact of such actions, and develop techniques to respond effectively when they occur.
Presenter: Jasmin Robinson, Director of DEI Initiatives, The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement
This webinar has been pre-approved for:
- 1 Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credit
- 1 NACA CE
- 1 CE towards ACO CE requirements per Ch. 829 of the Texas Health and Safety Code by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
Director of DEI Initiatives
The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement
Jasmin M. Robinson is The Association's Director of DEI Initiatives. She is also the CEO and Founder of I.D.E.A.L. Education, LLC., and a consultant with MSM Global Consulting. She has over 10 years of experience leading efforts to foster and maintain inclusive work environments that welcome, embrace, empower, and celebrate people. She is actively pursuing a doctorate in Higher Education Leadership at Indiana State University.
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|